Eddystone is an open format from Google that takes the primary capability of beacons—their ability to broadcast a unique number via short-range Bluetooth signals—and extends it to an impressive degree. What does that mean? Here are some differences of Eddystone and iBeacon, the well-known beacon format from Apple.
- iBeacon is Android and iOS compatible, but native only for iOS. Although there is Android version, it doesn’t work better as in iOS.
- Eddystone is Android and iOS compatible, and may be a native part of the upcoming Android M release
- iBeacon is simple and easy to implement
- Eddystone is flexible and opens new possibilities, but is more complicated to code
- iBeacon is not open source—the specification is in Apple’s hands
- Eddystone is published openly on GitHub
- iBeacon broadcasts a unique ID number
- Eddystone broadcasts three different packets: a unique ID number, a URL address, and sensor telemetry
Take in the broader set of data you can broadcast with Eddystone-compatible beacons. You have the capacity to broadcast URLs directly to users’ smart devices, or take temperature or other sensor data from beacons and broadcast it to smart devices for a variety of uses.
Google has done more than that. This week, it also launched two new services: the Nearby API and the Proximity Beacon API.
The Proximity Beacon API is a Google-sized solution for a problem many other businesses have tried to solve: How does a developer manage all of the data involved in working with beacons and smart devices? They’re hardly the first ones to present a solution for this (every beacon manufacturer worth their salt has developed its own approach), but Google is making their own attempt at being the one API to rule them all.
Cubeacon is iBeacon and Backend as a Service provider. Eddystone version of our Beacon is coming out really soon. Mail us at email@example.com. Get free API calls up to 250.000 by redeeming boxcode on our package.
Cubeacon also available at:
1. Lazada Indonesia with discount up to 12%.
2. Alibaba for wholesale buyer.
3. Amazon Japan for Japan customer.
For International customers, we have a special discount up to $10 by sign in to our pop up exit on our website. Double up the discount if your friend is using your referral code.